The University of Mount Union adopted the following principles as guidelines for our intercollegiate athletics program:
- The educational values, practices and mission of Mount Union determines the standards by which we conduct our intercollegiate athletics program.
- The highest priority is placed on the overall quality of a student's educational experience and on the successful completion of a student's academic program.
- The welfare, health, safety and academic progress of student-athletes are primary concerns of athletics administration on Mount Union's campus.
- Every student-athlete – male and female, majority and minority, in all sports – will receive equitable and fair treatment.
- The admission of student-athletes to Mount Union and the financial aid for student-athletes at Mount Union will be based on the same criteria as that of non-athletes.
- Student-athletes, in each sport, should be graduated in at least the same ratio as non-athletes who have spent comparable time as full-time students.
- The development of sportsmanship and ethical conduct in all constituents, including student-athletes, coaches, administrative personnel and spectators is encouraged. An atmosphere of respect and sensitivity to the dignity of every person, including on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, creed or sexual orientation, will be promoted.
- The time required of student-athletes for participation in intercollegiate athletics shall be regulated to minimize interference with their opportunities for acquiring a quality education in a manner consistent with that afforded the general student body.
- All funds raised and spent in connection with intercollegiate athletics programs will be channeled through the institution's general treasury – not through independent groups, whether internal or external. The Office of Athletics' budget will be developed and monitored in accordance with general budgeting procedures on campus.
- Annual academic and fiscal audits of the athletics program will be conducted.
Statement Concerning Sportsmanship/Ethical Conduct of the University of Mount Union Intercollegiate Athletic Teams
The University of Mount Union expects high standards of honesty, integrity and behavior in the conduct of intercollegiate athletic competition.
It is the responsibility of coaches, student-athletes, administrators and other athletic personnel of the University of Mount Union to recognize the significance of their behavior as visible members of the campus and local community.
These participants are, therefore, expected to live up to their responsibility by demonstrating good sportsmanship.
Inappropriate conduct on the part of coaches, student-athletes, administrators or other athletic personnel, which includes the use of alcohol or controlled substances, verbal or physical abuse, or demeaning words or actions toward officials, coaches, players or fans is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.
Existing rules for athletic competition that deal with sportsmanship/ethical conduct will be fully enforced at the University of Mount Union. Where existing rules are inadequate, the expectations of the University of Mount Union will set the standard for appropriate behavior.
Intercollegiate Athletics Eligibility
To be eligible for participation in the University’s intercollegiate athletic program during the traditional season, a student must be enrolled full-time for the semesters of participation, must be in good academic standing and be making satisfactory progress toward a degree.
To be eligible for participation in the University’s intercollegiate athletic program during the non-traditional season, a student must be enrolled full-time for the semesters of participation.
These requirements are in accordance with National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) guidelines.