Baseball: Raiders Upset in OAC Tourney; Mount Union in Elimination Game Friday Afternoon

Noah Skladan (Photo by Jenna Snider)
Noah Skladan (Photo by Jenna Snider)

ALLIANCE, Ohio – Third seeded Otterbein upset top-seeded and nationally ranked No. 24 Mount Union 3-1 Friday at the 2017 Ohio Athletic Conference Baseball Tournament at 23rd Street Field in Alliance.

Mount Union (30-10) now plays in an elimination game against the winner of the John Carroll-Marietta game Friday afternoon, while Otterbein (30-12) moves to Saturday's championship game at noon and must lose twice to be eliminated.

Otterbein pitcher Stevie Yuran got his second win of the season on the mound against the Purple Raiders as he allowed just a run on five hits with five strikeouts over 6.0 innings. Collin Hoffmann worked two innings of relief while Caleb Norton worked the ninth for the save as Cardinals combined to hold Mount Union to just six hits.

On the mound for Mount Union, Noah Skladan (Amberst/Steele) and Beau Taylor (Alliance/West Branch) combined only to allow only four Otterbein hits. Skladan gave up three runs – only one earned – over 6.2 innings to take the loss.

Mount Union manufactured a run in the second after Joey Keleman (North Olmsted/North Olmsted) started the inning with a single, then stole second and third and came home on a Kyle Spellman (Ravenna/Ravenna) single.

The Cardinals took advantage of two Mount Union errors and two wild pitches to score two runs in the fourth.

The first error got a runner in scoring position in the fourth then Stephan Hernon had a single for Otterbein's first hit of the game to score the first run, moved to second on an error on the play then advanced to third and home on a pair of wild pitches to give Otterbein a 2-1 lead.

The Cardinals extended the lead with a run in the seventh as Brock Frentzel led off the inning with a single and later scored on a sacrifice fly Tyler Thompson.

Mount Union tried to rally in the ninth as Goodall started the inning with a double and stole third but the game ended there.