#2 Mount Union Clinches Share of OAC Football Title With 41-13 Win at Baldwin-Wallace

Cecil Shorts III returned for the first time in a month and had two TD catches and an 80-yard kickoff return for a touchdown (Photo by Ryan Baker).
Cecil Shorts III returned for the first time in a month and had two TD catches and an 80-yard kickoff return for a touchdown (Photo by Ryan Baker).

BEREA, Ohio—No. 2 ranked Mount Union clinched at least a share of its 19th consecutive (22nd overall) Ohio Athletic Conference football championship with a 41-13 victory at Baldwin-Wallace.  The victory also gets the Purple Raiders the OAC's automatic bid into the NCAA Playoffs.

The win was also Mount Union's (9-0, 8-0) 52nd straight and 100th straight regular season road win.

Sophomore running back Jeremy Murray (Martins Ferry/Martins Ferry) rushed for 119 of his game-high 170 yards in second half as the Raiders, who led 20-13 at the half, scored 21 unanswered points in the second half.

All-American wide receiver Cecil Shorts (Cleveland/Collinwood) returned to action for the first time in a month caught two touchdown passes and had an 80-yard kickoff return for a touchdown on Mount Union's first possession of the day.

Mount Union's defense held B-W to 200 total yards, had six sacks, three from sophomore defensive end Charles Dieuseul (Winter Haven, Fla./Lake Region) and three interceptions including a 45-yard INT return for a touchdown from sophomore safety Nick Driskill (Wabash, Ind./Southwood).  Driskill and senior linebacker Sam Kershaw (West Jefferson/West Jefferson) each had 10 tackles.

Baldwin-Wallace (7-2, 6-2 OAC) took a 7-0 lead on the game's opening drive as quarterback Ryan O'Rourke hit Kevin Johnson on a 50-yard touchdown pass.  Shorts then came back with his kickoff return to tie the game at 7 just 2:19 into the game. 

Mount Union took its first lead of the game later in the quarter as Seaman hit senior tight end Kyle Miller (Elida/Elida) from 10 yards out, but the extra point attempt was blocked to make it 13-7. 

After a 49-yard kickoff return, Baldwin-Wallace scored five plays later on a one-yard run from Tim Miker, but the extra point was missed and the score was tied at 13 at the end of the first quarter.

Midway through the second quarter, B-W fumbled a punt on its own 12-yard line and one play later, Seaman hit Shorts on a pass to retake the lead 20-13. 

On the first drive of the second half, Seaman found Shorts again from 16 yards out to make it 27-13.

Murray took over at the end of the third and early in the fourth quarter as he had 38 yards rushing on a 18-play, 93-yard drive that took 10:14 off the clock and his three-yard run moved the score to 34-13.

On the very next play from scrimmage, Driskill intercepted an O'Rourke pass and returned it 45 yards for the 41-13 final. 

Mount Union closes out the regular season next week at home against Muskingum with kickoff from Mount Union Stadium slated for 1:30 pm.