Football: #7 Mount Union Beats #18 Hobart on the Road in NCAA First Round

Dom Davis (photo by Rich Barnes)
Dom Davis (photo by Rich Barnes)

GENEVA, N.Y. – No. 7 ranked Mount Union posted a 38-21 win at No. 18 ranked Hobart in the first round of the NCAA Division III Football Championship Saturday at Boswell Field in Geneva, N.Y.

Mount Union (10-1), playing its first road playoff game since 1996, advances to play No. 6 ranked Johns Hopkins (Md.) – a 42-21 winner over Randolph Macon (Va.) next Saturday at noon at a site to be announced.

Freshman quarterback Dom Davis (Akron/St. Vincent-St. Mary) had his third 300 yard passing performance in six starts as he completed 20-of-29 passes for 321 yards with a touchdown.

Jared Ruth (Indianapolis, Ind./Pike) and Tim Kennedy (Hudson/Hudson) both had over 100 yards receiving with 113 and 103 yards respectively.

The 1-2 punch of running backs Bradley Mitchell (Detroit, Mich./South Lake) and Jawanza Evans-Morris (Coral Springs, Fla./Taravella) each ran for two scores. Mitchell had 19 carries for 90 yards while Evans-Morris had 17 carries for 76 yards.

Mount Union's defense held Hobart to just 58 total yards in the second half.

Danny Robinson (Massillon/Massillon Washington) had a team-high 12 stops while Austin White (Wadsworth/Wadsworth) and Mike Vidal (Miami, Fla./Ronald Regan Doral) both had interceptions.

Hobart (9-2) quarterback Shane Sweeney was 29-for-57 for 291 yards and three touchdown passes.

Mount Union ran out to a 14-0 lead in the first quarter as Davis hit Ruth on a 51-yard touchdown pass and Evans-Morris ran in a seven-yard touchdown pass.

Sweeney threw a 22-yard touchdown pass to Zach Winters on fourth-and-12 early in the second quarter to get Hobart on the board.

The Raiders responded going 75 yards on five plays in just less than two minutes as Evans-Morris ran in from seven yards out to make it 21-7.

Hobart then engineered a 14-play, 75-yard drive that took 5:46 off the clock and Sweeney tossed a seven-yard touchdown pass to Sean Cunningham and Mount Union led 21-14 at the break.

Hobart scored in the third quarter to tie the game at 21-21 as Sweeney and Withers hooked up for a second time this time from 37 yards.

Mount Union then answered with a 75-yard drive and Mitchell had a three-yard touchdown run to put the Raiders back up 28-21.

The Raiders then clamped down on defense and held Hobart to just 43 yards in the fourth quarter and got interceptions from White and Vidal that the Raiders converted into an Alex Louthan (Loganville, Ga./Grayson) 33-yard field goal and a one-yard touchdown by Mitchell.