Football: #2 Mount Union Put Polar Bears on Ice

Gabe Brown (Photo by Dan Poel,
Gabe Brown (Photo by Dan Poel,

ALLIANCE, Ohio – The defense for No. 2 ranked Mount Union put the Ohio Northern Polar Bears on ice in 43-14 Ohio Athletic Conference win Saturday at Mount Union Stadium.

Mount Union's (4-0, 3-0 OAC) defense forced three turnovers and scored a touchdown as they held Ohio Northern (2-2, 1-2 OAC) to 45 yards in the first half and a season-low 214 yards for the game.

Gabe Brown (Plant City, Fla. / Durant) returned the first interception 89 yards for a score then later tipped a pass that was intercepted by Trevor Cox (Hillard / Darby). The other turnover was a fumble recovery by linebacker Charlie Dear (Massillon / Jackson), who finished with six tackles.

Quarterback D'Angelo Fulford (Miramar, Fla. / Miramar) threw two touchdowns and ran for two scores as he passed for 206 yards on 11-of-17 passing and ran for 47 yards to pace the offense.

Jawanza Evans-Morris (Coral Springs, Fla./Taravella) had over 100 yards rushing for the second straight week with 102 yards on 14 carries while Alex Louthan (Grayson, Ga. / Grayson) kicked three field goals.

Mount Union, which lost the coin toss for the first time in 19 games, took the game's opening possession 51 yards and settled for a 41-yard Louthan field goal to take a 3-0 lead.

Both teams then exchanged punts before Ohio Northern attempted a 48-yard field goal. The attempt was no good but a penalty on the play gave the Polar Bears a first down on the Raiders 16-yard line. On the very next play Brown intercepted a pass and brought it back 89 yards for a score to extend the lead to 10-0.

The Raiders got another interception on the Bears ensuing drive as Cox picked off a pass but two plays later Northern forced a fumble of Fulford to get the ball back. Mount Union's defense held, the Raiders got the ball back and Fulford engineered an 81-yard drive in seven plays finished with a 15-yard touchdown pass to Luke Herrington (Wintersville / Steubenville) that took the score to 17-0.

The Mount Union defense posted another three-and-out and Fulford put together another scoring drive that he finished with a one-yard run to push it to 24-0.

The defense then got its third Northern turnover of the half as Dear recovered a bobbled backward pass on the ONU three-yard-line but the Bears held and the Raiders settled for a Louthan field goal to lead 27-0 at the half.

Northern forced a fumble on the Raiders first possession of the second half and turned it into a score as Will Freed hit Malachi Nolletti on a 13-yard touchdown pass which was the first points allowed by the Mount Union defense this season and made it 27-7.

The Raiders answered with a 39-yard Louthan field goal which made the score 30-7 and tacked on two more scores with a 61-yard touchdown pass from Fulford to Hill and a Fulford four-yard run.

Northern finished the scoring as Freed hit Nolletti for a second TD pass this time from seven yards out.