ALLIANCE, Ohio – Each week during the football season, we give you five things to know five days before kickoff. This week No. 2 ranked Mount Union travels to Terre Haute, Indiana, to take on Rose-Hulman at 7 p.m. Saturday night at Cook Stadium.
1. College Football's 150th season – This year marks the 150th season of college football and celebrations are going on around the nation throughout the season. Mount Union was ranked among the top 50 programs in the history of the sport by ESPN. The Purple Raiders stand at No. 16 on the list ahead of Miami (Fla.), Florida State and Auburn among others. Pay attention to #CFB150 all season long for coverage and look for a commemorative CFB 150 logo on Mount Union helmets.
2. Purple Reign – Mount Union begins its 122nd season this week and the Purple Raiders lead NCAA Division III with 798 wins. With two more wins, they would be only the 16th program in college football history with at least 800 wins.
3. "Back Home Again in Indiana" – This will be Mount Union's first game in the state of Indiana since September 1, 2012 when the Raiders played at Franklin. Mount Union won that game 45-7 on its way to a 15-0 season and a national title. It is the second-ever meeting for Mount Union and Rose-Hulman after the Purple Raiders won 54-0 in Alliance last year.
4. Kicking Grass – This will be the first game on a new artificial surface as Rose-Hulman's Cook Stadium as the natural grass was replaced this past summer. Mount Union has not played a game on natural grass since the 2016 season opener – a 45-10 win at North Carolina Wesleyan in Rocky Mount, N.C.
5. Let's Go Streaking -- The Purple Raiders have won 31-straight season openers dating back to a 17-15 loss to Wooster in 1987 at Mount Union Stadium. Next year, Mount Union will begin a home-and-home series with Westminster (Pa.) on Sept. 5, 2020 at Mount Union Stadium.
Saturday's game will be broadcast live on the radio on WDPN 1310 AM and WRMU 91.1 FM while Rose-Hulman will provide a live statistics game tracker and live video. Links for all are available at athletics.mountunion.edu/gameday