Football: No. 2 Mount Union goes long to beat Otterbein 58-0

Derrick Harvey Jr./Photo by Ed Hall Jr.,
Derrick Harvey Jr./Photo by Ed Hall Jr.,

ALLIANCE – No. 2 Mount Union scored early and often against Otterbein at Mount Union Stadium on Saturday afternoon to stay undefeated on the season.

The Purple Raiders (4-0, 3-0 OAC) won their 42nd straight game against the Cardinals (0-5, 0-4) following a 58-0 victory in Ohio Athletic Conference football action.

Senior quarterback D'Angelo Fulford (Miramar, Fla.) had 303 yards passing and four touchdowns in the first half. Fulford completed 13-of-15 passes and now has 108 career touchdown passes.

Two of Fulford's touchdown passes went to senior wide receiver Justin Hill (Circleville), who had 183 receiving yards before halftime. Hill had a career long 82-yard reception in the first quarter and his two touchdowns moved him past former Purple Raider and NFL player Pierre Garcon for third most in school history.

Junior running back Josh Petruccelli (Perry) surpassed the 100-yard rushing mark in the first half. His 1-yard touchdown run made it 14-0 Raiders in the first quarter. Sophomore Wayne Ruby, Jr., (Pembroke Pines, Fla./Flanagan) had a 43 yard touchdown later in the first quarter that gave Mount Union a 21-0 lead.

Fulford and Hill closed out the 28-point first quarter with a 6-yard touchdown reception.

The Raiders' defense did not allow a first down in the opening quarter and gave up just 18 yards of offense.

Mount Union picked up where it left off in the second quarter with three more touchdowns to lead 49-0 at halftime.

Freshman Braxton Plunk (Plant City, Fla.) entered the game at quarterback on the last series of the first quarter and first series of the second quarter. He found senior wide receiver Derrick Harvey, Jr. (Akron/Buchtel) in the back of the end zone with 13:48 left in the half.

Fulford returned on the next series and threw a 12-yard touchdown pass to Evan Weygandt (New Lenox, Ill.,/Lincoln-Way West) for a 42-0 lead. Petruccelli closed out the first half scoring with a 2-yard run with 4:12 left before halftime.

Mount Union's defense surrendered just 76 yards on 32 plays in the first half. Junior Jalen Griffin (Chicago, Ill.,/Simeon) had an interception for the Purple Raiders, which allowed only 4 first downs before halftime.

The Purple Raiders added three field goals in the second half -- two from Cory Barnett (Grove City/Teays Valley) from 24 and 28 yards and a 21-yarder from Max Righetti (Salem) as Mount Union outgained Otterbein 624-90 for the game.