Men's Basketball Faces Important Road Game Saturday at Ohio Northern
Mount Union's men's basketball team travels to Ohio Northern for an Ohio Athletic Conference matchup Saturday at 4 pm in Ada, Ohio.
The game will be broadcast on the radio on WRMU 91.1 FM and simulcast online along with LIVE STATS.
Both Mount Union (9-13, 7-8 OAC) and Ohio Northern (10-12, 7-8 OAC) along with Otterbein (11-11, 7-8 OAC) are tied in fifth place in the OAC and one-game back of fourth place Heidelberg (10-12, 8-7 OAC). This is important as the top four teams at the end of the regular season next Saturday host quarterfinal games in the OAC Tournament.
Mount Union has dropped five of its last six games including an 81-66 loss to No. 18 ranked Marietta Wednesday.
The Raiders averaged 70.3 points per game and have three players average double figures led by junior forward Jimmy Wood (Wintersville/Indian Creek) at 15.0 points per game.
Senior forward Dave Pellerite (Olmsted Falls/Olmsted Falls) is second in scoring at 13.8 points and is among the conference leaders in rebounding at 8.6 per game along with a team-best 67 assists. Fellow senior in guard Ben Hodkinson (Tippecanoe/Harrison Central) averages 10.0 points per game and is second on the team with 66 assists.
Ohio Northern has won three of its last four games including an 80-62 win at Heidelberg last Wednesday as the Polar Bears average 66.4 points per game and are No. 2 in the OAC in scoring defense allowing 67.2 points per game.
Center Scott Schnelle leads the team in scoring (14.0 ppg) and rebounding (7.8 rpg) while ranking second in the OAC in blocked shots (27).
Mount Union next plays at Baldwin-Wallace Wednesday, Feb. 16 at 7:30 pm in Berea.
Mount Union jumped out to a 27-10 lead to start the game and never looked back in a 69-56 win over Ohio Northern in Alliance. Freshman point guard T.J. Gillespie (Toledo/Toledo St. John's) had a season-high 20 points for the Raiders, while Scott Schnelle had 19 points and seven rebounds for the Polar Bears.
Projected Mount Union Starters:
4 - Jimmy Wood, F - 15.0 ppg, 4.5 rpg
5 - Dave Pellerite, F - 13.8 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 3.2 apg
1 - Ben Hodkinson, G - 10.0 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 3.2 apg
45 - Matt Kiger, F - 7.2 ppg, 4.0 rpg
3 - Justen Little, G - 0.8 ppg, 0.7 rpg
Lee Hood (Ohio Northern '82) is 248-246 in his 19th season at Mount Union. Hood was the 1997 OAC Coach of the Year as he led the Raiders to a school-record 25 wins, an OAC title and the school's first NCAA Tournament appearance that season.
John Rhodes (Ohio '88) is 22-25 in his second season at Ohio Northern. Rhodes spent 13 years as an assistant coach with nine of those seasons at Ohio University.
This is the 82nd meeting between the teams with Ohio Northern holding a 53-28 lead in the series. Mount Union has won three-straight games including a 67-63 win in Ada last year.
Mount Union Player Notes
Jimmy Wood - Jr., F, Wintersville/Indian Creek
- Leads team in scoring at 15.0 ppg and blocks (9).
- Second on the team in rebounds (4.5) and steals (21)
- Scored in double figures 18 times and last eight games in a row.
- Over last four games has averaged 19.8 points and 6.3 rebounds per game.
- Season-high 22 points vs. Capital (1/29/11).
- Season-high/career-high 9 rebounds in both games against Muskingum.
- Career-high 30 points at Wilmington (1/30/10).
- Dad (Jim) played basketball at Georgia Tech.
Dave Pellerite - Sr., F, Olmsted Falls/Olmsted Falls
- Second on team in scoring at 13.8 ppg.
- Has 1,387 career points which in 4th place all-time at Mount Union and is 52 points behind 3rd place and former teammate Chris Switzer (1,439 - 2005-09).
- Leads team and third in OAC in rebounding at 8.6 rpg.
- Leads team and third in OAC in assists with 67.
- Scored in double figures 19 times and last 11 games in a row.
- Seven double-doubles (points-rebounds) this season.
- Season-high 22 points twice (at Wilmington and vs. John Carroll).
- Career-high 29 points vs. Pitt-Greensburg (11/18/08).
- Season-high/Career-high 15 rebounds vs. John Carroll (1/26/11).
- Played in 101 games and started 81.
Ben Hodkinson - Sr., G, Tippecanoe/Harrison Central
- Third on team in scoring at 10.0 ppg.
- Leads team in steals (23) and second in assists (66) .
- Leads team in 3-pt. shooting at 40.2% (39-of-97)
- 7th in OAC in 3-pt. shots made with 39.
- Scored in double figures in 11 games.
- Season-high/Career-high 22 points vs. Marietta (1/5/11).
- Played one season (2007-08) at Wheeling Jesuit.
Matt Kiger - So., F., Williamstown, W.Va./Williamstown
- Played in all 20 games and has made three starts including last two games in a row.
- Fifth on team in scoring at 7.2 ppg. and third in rebounding at 4.0 rpg.
- Scored double figures in seven games including last two in a row.
- Since being inserted into starting lineup has averaged 13.0 points and 5.5 rebounds per game.
- Season-high 20 points twice (at Otterbein and vs. Waynesburg).
- Career-high 27 points at Thomas More, Ky. (12/27/09).
- Season-high/Career-high 9 rebounds vs. Waynesburg.
Matt Wier - Jr., F., New Castle, Pa./Mohawk
- Fourth on the team in scoring at 9.8 ppg.
- Third on the team in rebounding at 4.0 rpg.
- Score in double figures in 10 games.
- Season-high 20 points at Capital (12/11/10).
- Career-high 28 points vs. Ohio Northern (12/12/09).
- Season-high/Career-high 9 rebounds twice (at Hiram and vs. Waynesburg).
- Played one season on a baseball scholarship at West Virginia.
T.J. Gillespie - Fr., G., Toledo/Toledo St. John's
- Played in 21 games and started 18.
- Sixth on team in scoring at 6.5 ppg.
- Third on the team in assists with 45.
- Season-high/Career-high 20 points vs. Ohio Northern (1/8/11).
- Season-high/Career-high 5 rebounds vs. Piedmont, Ga. (11/28/10).
- Season-high/Career-high 5 assists vs. Otterbein (1/22/11).
Justen Little - So., G., Gallion/Gallion
- Has played in all 22 games and started the last two games in a row.
- Season-high/Career-high 4 points vs. Ohio Northern (1/8/11).
- Season-high/Career-high 3 rebounds at Marietta (2/9/11).
- Season-high/Career-high 5 assists at Marietta (2/9/11).
Tyler Fausnight - Fr., F., North Canton/Hoover
- Played in 11 games and is out for remainder of season with an injury.
- Averaged 6.3 points per game and shot 65.9% (29-of-44) from field.
- Averaged 3.4 rebounds per game.
- Season-high/Career-high 12 points twice (at Westminster, Pa. and vs. Rust, Miss.).
- Season-high/Career-high 8 rebounds at Hiram (11/15/10).
Del'vonta Cheathem - Fr., G., Mansfield/Madison
- Has played in 15 games and made one start.
- Season-high/Career-high 6 points, 3 rebounds and 2 assists at Westminster, Pa. (11/19/10).
Jimmy Darnley - Fr., F., Canton/GlenOak
- Has come off the bench in 12 games including last 10 in a row.
- Season/Career-high 4 points at Marietta (2/9/11).
- Season/Career-high 4 rebounds against Wilmington (2/5/11).