CHICAGO, Ill. -- Mount Union senior forward Jarrett Ruffin (Northfield/Nordonia) is in the 2016 State Farm "Dark Horse Dunker" competition. Ruffin is one of 16 in the competition that is open from now through Feb. 17. The eventual Dark Horse Dunker winner will get a ticket and entry into the College Slam Dunk Championship at the Final Four.
Fans will determine the winner by voting daily at DarkHorseDunker.com throughout the four-week competition.
The State Farm "Dark Horse Dunker" contest is a digital media contest that will match up 16 of the top college dunkers in a bracket-style competition to determine the final participant in the Slam Dunk Championship. Fans can vote for their favorite players using an interactive bracket by entering DarkHorseDunker.com. The athlete with the most votes in each matchup will move on to the next round.
Video highlight reels of each competitor on the web site will help fans determine their choice. Voting ends March 9 at 12:59 p.m. The schedule for each voting round will go as follows:
- Round One: Feb. 10 – 17 (16 Players)
- Quarterfinals: Feb. 17 – 24 (8 Players)
- Semifinals: Feb. 24 – March 2 (4 Players)
- Finals: March 2 – 9 (2 Players)
- Winner Announcement: March 10
The Round One matchups are:
- Richard McCalop (University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma) vs. Anthony Selby (Kutztown)
- Jarrett Ruffin (Mount Union) vs. Dwaun Anderson (Wagner)
- Tanner Plomb (Army West Point) vs. Michael Hardge (Tarleton State)
- Brandon Conley (Oral Roberts) vs. DeVaughn Akoon-Purcell (Illinois State)
- Chuks Iroegbu (Northern Illinois) vs. Dom Williams (Indiana University East)
- Yunio Barrueta (Barry) vs. John Brown (High Point)
- Chris Waller (Southwestern College) vs. Javonte Byrd (Northwest Christian)
- Mario Moody (Bethune-Cookman) vs. Wes Washpun (Northern Iowa)