Men’s Basketball: Mount Union Streak Stopped at Capital

Diallo Niamke (Photo by Ed Hall Jr.)
Diallo Niamke (Photo by Ed Hall Jr.)

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Mount Union's men's basketball team dropped its first Ohio Athletic Conference game of the season with a 71-63 loss at Capital Saturday.

It was also the end of an 11-game win streak for the Purple Raiders, who are now 11-2 overall and 5-1 in the OAC. 

Capital got a game-high 19 points from Caleb Cox as the Crusaders stay undefeated in OAC play at 6-0 and are 11-2 overall.

Mount Union had three players in double figures as senior Diallo Niamke (Sagamore Hils / Nordonia) came off the bench for 17 points, freshman Collen Gurley (Akron/Hoban) chipped in 12 and junior Nathan Bower-Malone (Stow) had 10 points.

The Raiders missed nine of their first 10 shots and found themselves down 13-6 just over five minutes into the contest. Mount Union would then score 17 of the next 25 points capped off with three-straight three-pointers from Gurley to give the Raiders a 23-21 lead with 8:55 left before halfitme. An Andrew Carbon (Struthers) three-pointer would give the Raiders its largest lead of the period, 30-25, at the 4:28 mark. There would be four more lead changes and two more ties but Mount Union would be out-scored 15-5 the rest of the half to trail, 40-35 at the break.

Austin Schreck opened the second half with a three-pointer to push the Capital lead to eight points, 43-35. Mount Union would rally again and a Niamke layup capped a 10-3 run with 13:55 to play got the Raiders within a point, 46-45, but Cox got a layup on the next possession and the Crusaders scored 14 of the next 22 points to retake control and go on to the eight-point win.

Mount Union shot just 7-of-29 from three-point range for the game and stopped a streak of six-straight games with at least 10 made three-pointers.

The Raiders play a pair of home games next week against conference opponents Muskingum, Wednesday, January 9 at 7 p.m. and Otterbein, Saturday, January 12 at 2 p.m. at the MAAC.