Men's Soccer Ends OAC Tourney Run with Loss to No. 9 Ohio Northern
ADA, Ohio—The Mount Union men's soccer team lost to No. 9 Ohio Northern, 6-0, in an Ohio Athletic Conference semifinal match Tuesday afternoon in Ada. The Purple Raiders end their season 10-8-2 and had their best OAC Tournament showing in program history.
The Purple Raiders began the match as the aggressor. In the fifth minute, senior Kevin Cindric (Willowick/Eastlake North) found a loose ball near a scramble in front of the net and kicked it into the goal for an apparent 1-0 Raider lead. However, the referee on the near sideline signaled offsides, wiping the goal off the scoreboard.
The match remained scoreless through 25 minutes when Ohio Northern took control by scoring three goals in the next five minutes. Nathan Bescom, the OAC's second-leading goal scorer put one in goal off a cross in the box at the 25:07 mark, Cameron Johnson added a goal off a long throw-in at the 28:52 mark, and Christian Huelsman capped the flurry with a header from Austin Windsor at the 29:46 mark.
Goals by Cory Dobkins and Huelsman gave the Polar Bears a 5-0 halftime lead. Huelsman scored his third goal of the match in the second half to complete the hat trick for the 6-0 final score.
Mac Church made two saves to record his OAC-leading 11th shutout of the season. The Polar Bears (17-2-2) extend their unbeaten streak to 13 and will host the winner of tonight's John Carroll/Baldwin-Wallace match Saturday in the OAC Tournament championship. The Purple Raiders were the only OAC team that Ohio Northern did not defeat during the regular season, playing to a 1-1 tie in Alliance.
Mount Union (10-8-2) vs. Ohio Northern (17-2-2)
Date: Nov 02, 2011 Attendance: 118
Weather: Mostly Sunny, 65. Wind S 10-20.
Goals by period 1 2 Tot
Mount Union......... 0 0 - 0
Ohio Northern....... 5 1 - 6
1. 25:07 ONUM Nathan Bascom (14) (Greg Stawicki;Matt Fleming) - Scored in traffic from point blank range off cross.
2. 28:52 ONUM Cameron Johnson (11) (Craig Sumner) - Breakaway off of a throw-in.
3. 29:46 ONUM Christian Huelsman (7) (Austin Windsor) - Header off free kick.
4. 34:48 ONUM Cory Dobkins (8) (Christian Huelsman) - Beat keeper near post on 25-yard blast.
5. 44:06 ONUM Christian Huelsman (8) (Chris Matejka;Robert Sellers) - Beat goalie far post from 20 yards on right side of box.
6. 73:36 ONUM Christian Huelsman (9) (Michael Grossnickle) - Beat goalie on breakaway.
Shots: Mount Union 7, Ohio Northern 15
Saves: Mount Union 4 (Jon Critell 4), Ohio Northern 2 (Mac Church 2)
Semifinals of 2011 OAC Men's Soccer Tournament.
Ohio Northern is the #1 seed. MtUnion is the #5 seed.
Ohio Northern will host the OAC Tournament Finals Saturday at either Noon or 2 pm.