ALLIANCE, Ohio -- The Mount Union men's tennis team put a stop to Capital University's three-game unbeaten streak with a 9-0 shutout win over the Crusaders Friday afternoon at Mount Union's Whitehill Tennis Courts.
The win is the first time the Purple Raiders beat Capital since the 2011-12 season.
Mount Union improves to 12-4 overall and 5-1 in the OAC, while Capital falls to 5-14 and 2-3 in conference play.
Freshman Robert Cross (North Canton/Hoover) defeated Sonny DiMichaelangelo 6-1 and 6-0 in fourth position singles to earn the team's fifth point and ultimately seal a win for the Raiders. He and senior Jeff Williams (Cleveland Heights/Lakewood St. Edward) defeated Capital's C.J. Martin and John Roberts 8-5 in second doubles, as well.
The Raiders next travel to New Concord, Ohio on Tuesday, April 18 for an OAC match against Muskingum, beginning at 3:30 p.m.
Tennis Match Results: Capital University vs Mount Unionm, Apr 14, 2017 at University of Mount Union
Mount Union 9, Capital University 0
1. Rob DeMarco (MTUM) def. Dale Booher (CAPM) 6-2, 0-6, 10-7
2. Jackson Schneider (MTUM) def. C.J. Martin (CAPM) 6-1, 6-2
3. Jeff Williams (MTUM) def. John Roberts (CAPM) 6-1, 6-1
4. Robert Cross (MTUM) def. S. DiMichaelangelo (CAPM) 6-1, 6-0
5. Zach Teffner (MTUM) def. Hunter Walter (CAPM) 6-0, 6-3
6. Kyle Hicken (MTUM) def. Ben Heiland (CAPM) 6-1, 6-1
1. Rob DeMarco/Jackson Schneider (MTUM) def. Dale Booher/S. DiMichaelangelo (CAPM) 8-6
2. Jeff Williams/Robert Cross (MTUM) def. C.J. Martin/John Roberts (CAPM) 8-5
3. Zach Teffner/Matt Bringman (MTUM) def. Hunter Walter/Ben Heiland (CAPM) 8-2
Notes: Mount Union 12-4, 5-1 OAC; Capital University 5-14, 2-3 OAC