ALLIANCE, Ohio -- Mount Union's men's tennis team defeated Heidelberg University 5-0 Tuesday night in the Ohio Athletic Conference Tournament quarterfinals in the Peterson Fieldhouse at Mount Union.
Mount Union improves to 15-4 on the season, while Heidelberg finishes at 3-14.
The Purple Raiders swept doubles play with scores of 8-1, 8-1 and 8-0 to earn three match points and lead Heidelberg 3-0 as the teams went into singles play.
Junior Jackson Schneider (Oregon, Wis./Oregon) defeated Heidelberg's Porus Shroff in second singles, while senior Jeff Williams (Cleveland Heights/Lakewood St. Edward) earned the fifth and deciding point after beating Dan Driscoll in third position.
The 5-0 win was the final home match for Mount Union's seniors, as the team next plays in the OAC Tournament semifinals against the winner of the #3 Baldwin Wallace/#6 Ohio Northern match on Friday, May 5 at the Lindner Tennis Center in Mason, Ohio.
Tennis Match Results: Heidelberg vs Mount Union, May 02, 2017 at University of Mount Union
Mount Union 5, Heidelberg 0
1. Rob DeMarco (MTUM) vs. Benjamin Moore (HEIDM) 6-1, 4-0, unfinished
2. Jackson Schneider (MTUM) def. Porus Shroff (HEIDM) 6-0, 6-0
3. Jeff Williams (MTUM) def. Dan Driscoll (HEIDM) 6-0, 6-0
4. Robert Cross (MTUM) vs. Paul Claymier (HEIDM) 6-0, 3-0, unfinished
5. Zach Teffner (MTUM) vs. Tate Schoen (HEIDM) unfinished
6. Kyle Hicken (MTUM) vs. Alex Sprague (HEIDM) unfinished
1. Rob DeMarco/Jackson Schneider (MTUM) def. Dan Driscoll/Tate Schoen (HEIDM) 8-1
2. Jeff Williams/Robert Cross (MTUM) def. Paul Claymier/Benjamin Moore (HEIDM) 8-1
3. Zach Teffner/Matt Bringman (MTUM) def. Porus Shroff/Alex Sprague (HEIDM) 8-0
Notes: Mount Union 15-4, Heidelberg 3-14
OAC Tournament Quarterfinal Match Order of Finish: Doubles #3, Doubles #1, Doubles #2, Singles #2, Singles #3