MASON, Ohio -- The #2 seeded Mount Union men's tennis team suffered a 5-0 season-ending loss to #1 seeded John Carroll in the Ohio Athletic Conference Tournament Finals Saturday morning at the Lindner Tennis Center in Mason, Ohio.
The Purple Raiders end their season 16-5 overall, while John Carroll improves to 15-7 and receives an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.
Mount Union trailed John Carroll 0-3 at the end of doubles play. John Carroll earned the first two wins in singles play to secure its fourth and fifth match points to secure a 5-0 win.
Seniors Rob DeMarco (North Canton/Hoover) and Jeff Williams (Cleveland Heights/Lakewood St. Edward) end their careers with more than 100 career wins each. DeMarco leaves Mount Union with a combined record of 105-44, while Williams departs at 106-41 overall.
Tennis Match Results: Mount Union vs John Carroll, May 06, 2017 at Mason, Ohio
John Carroll 5, Mount Union 0
1. Jad Abdul-Aal (JCUM) vs. Rob DeMarco (MTU) 6-4, 2-1, unfinished
2. Gustavo Garcia (JCUM) vs. Jackson Schneider (MTU) 6-1, 3-1, unfinished
3. David Sinense (JCUM) def. Jeff Williams (MTU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Nick Siciliano (JCUM) vs. Robert Cross (MTU) 6-3, 1-1, unfinished
5. Tyler Cole (JCUM) vs. Zach Teffner (MTU) 6-4, 4-1, unfinished
6. Alex Guthrie (JCUM) def. Kyle Hicken (MTU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Jad Abdul-Aal/David Sinense (JCUM) def. Rob DeMarco/Jackson Schneider (MTU) 8-5
2. Gustavo Garcia/Dillon O'Brien (JCUM) def. Jeff Williams/Robert Cross (MTU) 8-5
3. Tyler Cole/Nick Siciliano (JCUM) def. Zach Teffner/Matt Bringman (MTU) 8-4
Notes: John Carroll 15-7, Mount Union 16-5
Finals of the 2017 OAC Men's Tennis Tournament.