HILTON HEAD, S.C. -- The Mount Union men's tennis team defeated St. Mary's (Md.) (2-4), 6-3, Monday afternoon at Hilton Head High School.
The Purple Raiders (3-2) were led by Robert Cross (North Canton/Hoover) as he scored a pair of victories in the No. 1 doubles and singles spot, scoring the winning point for the Raiders. Alongside Zach Teffner (Cortland/Lakeview) in doubles, the duo won 8-4. In singles, Cross posted scores of 6-2 and 6-4.
Mount Union is back in action in Hilton Head on Wednesday, March 13 at 8:15 a.m. against Nebraska Wesleyan at Chaplin Park Tennis Center.
Mount Union 6, St. Mary's 3
1. Robert Cross (MTU) def. Jon Gorel (SMCM) 6-2, 6-4
2. Ethan Garren (SMCM) def. Zach Teffner (MTU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Antonio Massucci (MTU) def. Ron Stith (SMCM) 6-4, 6-4
4. Samuel Sheats (SMCM) def. Justin Kelley (MTU) 7-5, 6-2
5. Jack Brandenburg (SMCM) def. Jacob Barton (MTU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Tyler Tareshawty (MTU) def. Jacob Bartholow (SMCM) 6-2, 6-1
1. Robert Cross/Zach Teffner (MTU) def. Jon Gorel/Ethan Garren (SMCM) 8-4
2. Antonio Massucci/Justin Kelley (MTU) def. Ron Stith/Samuel Sheats (SMCM) 8-4
3. Jacob Barton/Scott Fletcher (MTU) def. Jack Brandenburg/Jacob Bartholow (SMCM) 8-1
St. Mary's 2-4
Mount Union 3-2