Mount Union's men's and women's indoor track and field teams will look to defend their conference titles at the 2018 Ohio Athletic Conference Indoor Track & Field Championships Friday and Saturday at The Capital Center at Capital University in Columbus.
The Purple Raider men, ranked No. 2 in the nation, are looking for their sixth straight and conference record 37th team title with a number of student-athletes seeded high heading into the weekend.
Mount Union holds the top seed in six different men's events which include:
- Sophomore Matt Keim (Bolivar/Tusky Valley) in the pole vault
- Sophomore Sean Sherman (Franklin/Bishop Fenwick in the shot put
- Sophomore Mason Plant (Shreve/Triway) in the 60-meter hurdles
- Sophomore James Roth (Massillon/Perry) in the 400-meter dash
- The 800-meter relay team of sophomore Josh Perry (Cuyahoga Falls), freshman Kendall Shadie (Akron/St. Vincent-St. Mary) along with seniors Tyler Neff (Navarre/Fairless) and Josh Weber (Wadsworth)
- The 1600-meter relay team of Neff, Roth with junior Clark Etzler (Elida) and sophomore AJ Digby (Tontogany/Otsego).
The Mount Union women will be hunting for their seventh straight and eighth overall conference title.
The Raiders also have several high seeds but the strength of the team in the sprints.
Sophomores Daijana Johnson (Alliance), Rachael Adams (Louisville/St. Thomas Aquinas) and senior Katie Goedecke (Cuyahoga Falls/Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary) are in the top three spots in the 60-meter dash respectively as Mount Union holds five of the top eight seeds in the event.
Adams and Johnson also have the top two spots in the 200 meters while top seeds are also had by sophomore Aamirah Howard (Akron/Woodridge) in the 60-meter hurdles and the 800-meter relay team of Goedecke, senior Dana Crofoot (Perry), sophomore Hannah Kahn (Beachwood) and freshman Mariah Eisenbraun (Lisbon/United Local).
Junior Hilary Reigle (Madison) has also nabbed a top seed in the 1,000 meters.