Nationally ranked Mount Union (#7 in D3hoops.com and #8 in ESPN/USA TODAY Coaches polls) can clinch at least a share of its second straight Ohio Athletic Conference women's basketball regular season title with a win at Ohio Northern Saturday at 3 pm in Ada.
Mount Union (21-1, 14-1 OAC) is in first place in the conference a game ahead of Ohio Northern (19-3, 13-2 OAC). A win for the Purple Raiders would also give them the No. 1 seed in the OAC Tournament.
Mount Union extended its school-record win streak to 16 games with 74-56 win this past Wednesday at Marietta.
The Raiders never trailed as they used an 11-2 run in the first half to build a 25-point lead and cruise to the victory.
Senior forward Amanda Rose (Green/Green) had a team-high 16 points to become the 13th player in school history to score over 1,000 career points.
On the season, Rose is the team's top rebounder (5.2 per game) and is third in scoring at 11.0 points per game.
Junior point guard Rosa LaMattina (Westlake/Westlake) leads the team and is sixth in the OAC in scoring at 14.7 points per game, while leading the conference in steals (3.7 per game) and third in assists (4.1 per game).
Seniors guard Kori Wiedt (North Olmsted/North Olmsted) is right behind LaMattina and seventh in the OAC in scoring averaging 14.2 points per game. Wiedt, who is eighth on the school's all-time list with 1,148 points, is also third in the nation and OAC in three-point percentage (.477) as she has made a conference-best 62 from beyond the arc.
Mount Union leads the conference in scoring offense at 73.3 points per game and is the top defensive team allowing just 54.5 points per game. The Raiders help that defense by leading the OAC in steals at 12.3 per game.
Since losing at Mount Union on Jan. 7, Ohio Northern has won eight-straight games including a thrilling 88-82 double overtime win Wednesday at Heidelberg.
Cenzie Yoder had 27 points to lead the Polar Bears, who are right behind the Raiders in total offense (68.3 ppg) and scoring defense (58.5 ppg) in the OAC.
Ohio Northern has four players average in double figures on the season led by junior wing Morgan Dumbaugh at 13.3 points per game. Senior forward Kara Dysert is second on the team in scoring at 12.7 points per game and four in the OAC in rebounding at 8.7 per game.
EARLIER THIS SEASON
Mount Union rallied from an 11-point first half deficit to lead 44-42 at halftime, then opened the second half on an 11-3 run and held off Ohio Northern for an 85-71 win. Kori Wiedt scored a game-high 26 points and went over 1,000 career points in the win.
This will be the 61st meeting between the teams with Mount Union holding a 31-29 lead in the series. The Raiders have won six-straight games and nine of the last 10 meetings, with the last Polar Bear win coming in 2008-09 -- 47-44 in Alliance.
1,000 TIMES THREE
Eariler this season, Mount Union senior guard Kori Wiedt became the 11th player a little over a week ago junior guard Rosa LaMattina became the 12th player and this past Wednesday, Amanda Rose became the 13th player in school history to score 1,000 points.
It is the first time in school history that three 1,000-point scorers have all been active at the same time.
Rose has never missed a game playing in each of the last 108 games with 105 starts, Wiedt has 101 starts in 104 games while LaMattina has started every of the 82 games in her college career. Their head coach - Suzy Venet holds the Mount Union record for games played at 124.
Mount Union Career Scoring Records
- Kerri Canning (1997-2001) - 1,605
- Dana Zarzycki (1991-1995) - 1,580
- Ashley Bourdeau (2001-2005) - 1,545
- Suzy Venet (1994-1998) - 1,528
- Tracy Wilson (1992-1996) - 1,228
- Katie Harrington (1996-2000) - 1,184
- Cindy Bash (1984-1987) - 1,175
- Kori Wiedt (2008-present) - 1,148
- Lauren Friedrich (2003-2007) - 1,110
- Alicia Williams (2004-2008) - 1,064
- Rosa LaMattina (2009-present) – 1,031
- Holly Rhodes (1990-1994) - 1,016
- Amanda Rose (2008-present) - 1,007
Mount Union's home game with Heidelberg on Feb. 18 will be broadcast on television via tape delay on WIVM-TV 39 in Canton (ch. 989 – Time Warner Cable) and regional cable sports network SportsTime Ohio. Image Video of North Canton will produce the games at Mount Union with Harry Paidas and Lenny Reich on the call.
The women's game will be replayed on WIVM-TV (ch. 989 – Time Warner Cable) on Saturday at 7pm and Sunday at 6pm and on SportsTime Ohio on Sunday at noon.
Admission to the game will be FREE to EVERYONE and promotions are planned for the day.
Mount Union has broadcast more of its athletics events on regional and national television than any other small college in the country.
Mount Union plays its final regular season road game next Wednesday at 7:30 pm at Baldwin-Wallace in Berea.
- Rosa LaMattina, Jr, PG - 15.0 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 4.1 apg, 3.8 spg
- Kori Wiedt, Sr, G - 14.2 ppg, 3.9 rpg
- Amanda Rose, Sr, F - 10.7 ppg, 5.2 rpg
- Tierney Allen, Jr, G – 6.3 ppg, 3.6 rpg
- Erin Schmidt, Sr, G – 6.0 ppg, 3.7 rpg
- Morgan Dumbaugh, G/F - 13.3 ppg, 4.4 rpg
- Kara Dysert, F - 12.7 ppg, 8.7 rpg
- Cenzie Yoder, F - 11.8 ppg, 6.5 rpg
- Joanna Snyder, F - 10.1 ppg, 4.5 rpg
- Katie Mengos, PG - 5.0 ppg, 3.7 rpg
MOUNT UNION PLAYER NOTES
Rosa LaMattina, Jr., PG, Westlake/Westlake
- 12th player in school history to score over 1,000 career points - 11th on school's all-time list with (1,031)
- OAC Player of the Week (2/6/12)
- Season-high 25 points vs. Ohio Northern (1/7/12)
- Season-high 8 assists at Capital (1/28/12)
- Season-high 6 steals at Wilmington (12/17/11)
- Has scored in double figures in 20 games this season.
- MVP of Mount Union M Club Shootout
- Has started every game of college career - 82 games
- Career-high 27 points vs. Baldwin-Wallace (2/10/10)
- Two-time All-OAC Second Team
- 2009-10 OAC Freshman of the Year
Kori Wiedt, Sr. G, North Olmsted/North Olmsted
- 11th player in school history to score 1,000 career points - 8th on school's all-time list with 1,148 pts.
- OAC Player of the Week (1/23/12)
- Season-high 26 points vs Ohio Northern (1/7/12)
- Season-high 11 rebounds vs Capital (12/10/11)
- Season-high 5 assists vs Wilmington (2/4/12)
- Made 7 three-pointers at Muskingum (1/18/12)
- Has scored in double figures in 16 games this season
- Started all 30 games last season and has played in 104 career games
- School-record 219 career three-pointers made
- Career-high 31 points vs. Muskingum (12/6/08)
- Three-time All-OAC
- 2011 All-Great Lakes Region
- 2011 Academic All-OAC
Amanda Rose, Sr., F, Green/Green
- 13th player in school history to score over 1,000 career points (1,007 points)
- 2012 Capital One Academic All-District 7 Second Team
- OAC Player of the Week (1/16/12)
- Season-high 20 points at Heidelberg (1/14/12)
- Season-high 10 rebounds vs. Bates (Me.) (12/19/11)
- Has scored in double figures in 15 games this season
- Has played in 108 career games and has started 105 games
- Career-high 21 points vs. Marietta (2/9/11)
- 2011 All-OAC Honorable Mention
- OAC Scholar Athlete of the Month - Dec. 2010
- Two-time Academic All-OAC
- Her father -- Dennis Rose '75 played basketball at Mount Union
Tierney Allen, Jr., G, Alliance/Alliance
- Season-high/career-high 15 points vs. Muskingum (2/1/12)
- Season-high four steals vs. Ohio Northern (1/7/12)
- Season-high five assists vs. Marietta (1/4/12) and vs. John Carroll (1/25/12)
- Season-high/career-high seven rebounds vs. Bates (Me.) (12/19/11) and at Capital (1/28/12)
- Came off the bench in all 30 games last season
- Has played in 66 career games and started all 22 games this season
- All-tournament team at Mount Union M Club Shootout
Erin Schmidt, Sr., G, Akron/Walsh Jesuit
- Has played in all 22 games this season and started the last 12 games
- Has scored double figures five times this season
- Season-high and career-best 12 points vs. Capital (12/10/11)
- Career-high eight rebounds vs. Marietta (1/4/12)
Brittany Kilgore, Jr., C, Northfield/Nordonia
- Started first three games of the season ... missed six games with an injury and has come off the bench in five games.
- Season-high 10 points at Westminster (Pa.) (11/15/11) and at Carnegie Mellon (Pa.) (11/19/11)
- Season-high 5 rebounds at Carnegie Mellon (Pa.) (11/19/11)
- Has played in 66 career games and made 10 starts
- Career-high 30 points vs. John Carroll (12/8/10)
Megan Saunders, So, F, Lakewood/Lakewood
- Has played in 21 games with five starts this season
- Season-high six points and career-high six rebounds vs. Allegheny (Pa.) (11/25/11) and at John Carroll (12/7/11)
- Career-high 10 points at St. John Fisher (N.Y.) (11/28/10)
Aly Daniel, Fr., C, Willard/Willard
- Has come off the bench in all 22 games so far this season
- Had season-best/career-best 12 points vs. Bates (Me.) (12/19/11), Marietta (1/4/12) and John Carroll (1/25/12)
- Had season-high/career-high eight rebounds at Wilmington (12/17/11)
- Has scored in double figures in five games this season
Amanda Tamerlano, Fr., G, North Royalton/North Royalton
- Has come off the bench in all 22 games and had first career start against John Carroll (12/7/11)
- Had season-high/career-high five points vs. Bates (Me.) (12/19/11) and vs. Otterbein (1/21/12)
- Had season-high/career-high four rebounds vs. Bates (Me.) (12/19/11)
- Had season-high/career-high three assists at Carnegie Mellon (Pa.) (11/19/11)
Kelly Evans, Sr., G, Twinsburg/Twinsburg
- Season-high seven points at Otterbein (12/3/11)
- Came off the bench in all 19 games so far this season and has played in 85 career games
- Season-high four rebounds at Marietta (2/8/12)
- Career-high eight points at Heidelberg (1/15/11)
Marybeth Leitch, Jr. F, Rocky River/Rocky River
- Has come off the bench in 21 games this season
- Had season/career-high six points vs. Allegheny (Pa.) (11/25/11) and vs. Wilmington (2/4/12)
- Had season/career-high eight rebounds vs. Wilmington (2/4/12)
- Came off the bench in 13 games in 2010-11
Olivia Holt, So, G, Williamsfield/Pymatuning Valley
- Has come off the bench in all 22 games this season
- Had season/career high five points and four rebounds at Wilmington (12/17/11)
- Came off the bench in nine games in 2010-11
Maggie Miller, Jr, G, Salem/United Local
- Has come off the bench in all 22 games this season
- Had season/career-high eight points vs. Drew (N.J.) (12/20/11)
- Had season-high four assists at Marietta (2/8/12)
- Came off the bench in 20 games in 2010-11 and seven games in 2009-10