University of Mount Union Purple Raiders (4-0)
at Bethany (W.Va.) College Bison (1-1)
Monday, December 2, 2013 | 6 PM
Hummel Field House | Bethany, W.Va
LIVE AUDIO/LIVE STATS: http://livestats.prestosports.com/mountunion
AT A GLANCE
The Mount Union women's basketball team will look to continue their hot start as they travel to Bethany, W.Va. to take on the Bison of Bethany at 6 pm on Monday, December 2nd. The Purple Raiders are 4-0, after winning the M-Club Shootout, defeating Waynesburg (Pa.) 104-66, and Hanover (Ind.) in the tournament championship 87-75.
The Bison (1-1) are also coming off a win, defeating Penn State-Beaver 91-76 on Nov 23 in their last game.
Both teams have not played since Nov. 23 -- an eight-day layoff.
In last year's meeting, the Raiders defeated the Bison 59-46 in Alliance, Ohio.
Suzy Venet (Mount Union '98)
is in her ninth season as head coach at Mount Union. Venet played for the Purple Raiders and holds numerous school records, including most points in a season (587 in 1997-98), most career assists (843), career triple-doubles (10) and is fifth on the all-time scoring list (1,528 points). Since taking over, she brought the Raiders back to being one of the nation's top programs, three OAC Tournament titles, two OAC regular season titles, and three straight trips to the NCAA tournament including to the Sweet 16 in 2010 and 2012.
Rebecca Upton (Westminster, Pa. '00)
is in her ninth season as head coach at Bethany. Upton has helped guide the Bison to one of their best seasons in 2011-12, winning 17 games and reaching the Presidents Athletic Conference (PAC) Tournament semifinals and earning a bid to the ECAC Tournament. She is ranked third in program history for winningest coach. She had assistant coaching stints at West Virginia Wesleyan and Shippensburg (Pa.) before taking the position at Bethany in 2005.
SCOUTING THE BISON
Bethany dropped its opener to fellow Ohio Athletic Conference member Marietta, 97-56, before earning its first win of the season over Penn State-Beaver, 91-76 on Sat. Nov. 23.
Both teams have been off for eight days.
The Bison are ranked third in the Presidents Athletic Conference averaging 73.5 points per game and lead the conference in blocked shots (3.0 per game).
Senior Taylor Verrcio leads Bethany averaging 17.0 points per game and 9.5 rebounds per game, while freshman Alexis Naples leads the team with seven assists and averages 7.0 points per game.
The 104 points in the Waynesburg victory were the most for a Mount Union team in a single game since a 110-23 Raider win over Hilbert (N.Y.) on November 20, 1998.
The Raiders are leading the Ohio Athletic Conference averaging 89.2 points per game and allowing their opponents to only average 62.5 points per game.
Sophomore Annie Bova (Parma Heights/Beaumont) leads the Raiders and is ranked fourth in the OAC averaging 18.0 points per game, while junior Nancy Osborne (North Canton/GlenOak) is averaging 11.2 points per game and had a career-high 17 points in an 87-75 win over Hanover (Ind.).
Sophomore Sarah Grippi (Venetia, Pa./Peters Township) has hit 75-percent of her shots on the season (15-of-20) putting her at the top of the conference and leading the team.
LET'S GET DEFENSIVE
Grippi also had a career-best 14 rebounds in the win over Hanover, and currently ranks fourth in the OAC in total rebounds (27). The Raiders are ranked third in the OAC averaging 44.0 rebounds per game.
UP NEXT ..
Mount Union opens OAC play Wednesday, Dec. 4 at 7:30 pm at John Carroll in University Heights.
Projected Mount Union Starters
Mount Union Player Notes
Annie Bova, So., G, Parma Heights/Beaumont
- M-Club Shooutout MVP
- Nan Nichols Classic All-Tournament Team
- Started 10 games last season....came of the bench in 16 games
- Tied for school record in three-pointers made in game (eight) vs. Muskingum (02/06/13)
- Career-high 24 points vs. Muskingum (02/06/13)
- Career-high 6 rebounds at Waynesburg (11/24/12) and vs. Baldwin Wallace (12/15/12)
- Career-high 4 assists at Otterbein (02/02/13)
- Career-high 3 steals vs. Wilmington (01/12/13) and vs. Muskingum (02/06/13)
- Career-high 2 blocks vs. John Carroll (12/05/12) and at Marietta (02/13/13)
Nancy Osborne, Jr., G., Canton/GlenOak
- M-Club Shootout All-Tournament Team
- Started 13 games last season ... 32 career games played
- Career-high 17 points vs. Hanover (Ind.) (11/23/13)
- Career-high 6 assists vs. Hanover (Ind.) (11/23/13)
- Career-high 2 steals vs. Illinois Wesleyan (11/16/12)and vs John Carroll (12/05/12)
- Career-high 5 rebounds at Waynesburg (11/24/12)
Olivia Holt, Sr., G, Williamsfield/Pymatuning Valley
- Came off the bench in 20 games last season ... one career start ...58 career games played
- Recorded career-high 8 rebounds vs. Earlham (11/17/13)
- Career-high 7 points vs Waynesburg (Pa.) (11/22/13)
- Career-high 6 assists vs Waynesburg (Pa.) (11/22/13)
Chandler Moore, Jr., G, Girard, Pa./Girard
- Came off the bench in 26 games last season …35 Career games played
- Career-high 8 points vs. Wilmington (01/12/13) and vs. Waynesburg (11/22/13)
- Career-high 5 rebounds vs Hanover (Ind.) (11/23/13)
- Career-high 3 steals at Heidelberg (12/8/12) at Baldwin Wallace (01/30/13)
- Career-high 4 assists vs Wilmington (01/12/13) and vs Muskingum (02/06/13)
Aly Daniel, Jr, C, Willard/Willard
- Played in all 27 games...started 16 games last season
- Averaged 20.8 minutes, 8.4 points and 4.8 rebounds
- Recorded one double-double at Baldwin Wallace (Jan.30) [14 points and 10 rebounds]
- Recorded career-highs 16 points vs. Marietta (Jan. 9), 10 rebounds at Baldwain Wallace (Jan. 30) and four steals vs. Marietta (Jan. 9)
- Reached double-figures 12 times
Amanda Turner, Sr., G, Wooster/Wooster
- Came off the bench in 26 games last season … 60 career games played
- Tied for school record in three-pointers made in game (eight) vs Heidelberg (01/19/13)
- Career-high 26 points vs. Heidelberg (01/19/13)
- Career-high 4 rebounds vs. Baldwin Wallace (12/15/12) vs. Albion (Mich.) (12/28/12) and vs. Muskingum (02/09/13)
- Career-high 5 assists vs. Capital (01/26/13)
Katie Reed, So., G, Alliance/Marlington
- Career-high 14 points against Earlham (11/17/13)
- Nan Nichols Classic All-Tournament Team (11/17/13)
Sarah Grippi, So., G, Venetia, Pa./Peters Township
- Career-high 10 points vs. Waynesburg (11/22/13)
- Career-high 14 rebounds vs. Hanover (Ind.) (11/23/13)
- Played in two games freshman year
- Recorded two rebounds in freshman season
Cassi Bowen, So., G, Brunswick/Brunswick
- Career-high 12 points vs. Waynesburg (11/22/13)
- Four rebounds
- Appeared in three games freshman year
Robyn Brown, Fr., F. Woodland Hills, Cali./Chaminade College Prep.
- Career-high eight points vs. Waynesburg (11/23/13)
- Recorded seven rebounds in collegiate debut vs. Thiel (Pa.) (11/16/13)