Women's Basketball: Raiders Earn Win Over Capital After an OT Three-Pointer by Tinkey

Abbey Bartoszewicz (Photo by Joe Colon)
Abbey Bartoszewicz (Photo by Joe Colon)

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Sophomore Rachel Tinkey (Canfield/Canfield) sunk a three-pointer in overtime to secure a 62-60 overtime win against Ohio Athletic Conference opponent Capital University Saturday afternoon, snapping a five-game winless streak for the Purple Raiders. 

Junior Erin White (West Chester/Lakota East) led Mount Union (10-11, 5-9 OAC) with 13 points and three rebounds, while sophomore Meghan Hess (Cranberry, Pa./Seneca Valley) tallied 11 points and went three for five on three-pointers. 

Capital's Erin Risner (9-12, 5-9 OAC) led the Crusaders with 19 points and seven rebounds. 

The final quarter was a back-and-forth battle that saw three lead changes. Capital took its first lead two minutes into the quarter, but Mount Union regained the lead less than 20 seconds later, 46-45. Capital's Regan Stonebrook made a jump-shot to put the Crusaders ahead 47-46 with 6:34 on the clock. Capital held its lead until Rappach made a three-point shot to tie the game at 57 points with 18 seconds remaining in regulation; her shot was enough to hold off the Crusaders and send the game into overtime. 

Capital made a free throw in the opening seconds of overtime to lead Mount Union 58-57, but senior Abbey Bartoszewicz (Wexford, Pa./Vincentian Academy) responded with a jump-shot at the 3:15 mark to put the Raiders ahead, 59-58. A foul by White led to the Crusaders capitalizing on two free throws, which put the Raiders behind by one point, 60-59, with 36 seconds left. Tinkey came out of a Mount Union timeout and sunk a game-winning three-pointer with 27 seconds remaining, ultimately giving the Raiders a 62-60 win over Capital.

The Raiders opened play with Bartoszewicz sinking back-to-back three-pointers to put the Purple Raiders on the board and take their only lead of the quarter, 6-4, with 6:46 left. Capital regained the lead just one minute later, which it held onto through the period, leaving Mount Union behind by a score of 14-11. 

Capital led the Raiders by as many as six points in the second quarter, but Mount Union came within one point of the Crusaders, 19-18, after Hess made a three-pointer. Freshman Tori Rappach (Warren/Howland) followed with a three-pointer of her own, giving the Raiders their first lead of the quarter, 21-19, with 4:01 remaining. Capital regained the lead (23-22) with 31 seconds on the clock when Stonebrook made a jumper in the paint. The Crusaders committed a foul on senior Haley Roddy (Medina/Highland) with 10 seconds left; she sunk both free throws to give Mount Union a 24-23 lead at the break.

The Crusaders overtook the lead less than 10 seconds into the third period, 25-24, and held on for more than eight minutes. Hess took advantage of a fast break in the paint and made a jump-shot to tie the game at 36 points with 1:28 on the clock. She followed with a three-pointer to put Mount Union ahead 39-36. The Raiders led Capital 41-38 as the teams headed into the final period of play. 

The fourth quarter was a fighting match to see which team could claim the lead, but it ended in 57 point stalemate that sent the game into overtime. Tinkey's late three-pointer was just enough to edge out the Crusaders and break the Raiders' five-game beaten streak. 

Mount Union hosts Muskingum in an OAC match-up at the McPherson Academic and Athletic Complex Wednesday, Feb. 8 at 7:30 p.m.