Women's Basketball: Purple Raiders Defeat Muskingum at Home Wednesday Night

Abbey Bartoszewicz (Photo by Jenna Snider)
Abbey Bartoszewicz (Photo by Jenna Snider)

ALLIANCE, Ohio -- Three consecutive three-pointers sparked a fourth quarter scoring run that led the Mount Union women's basketball team to defeat Ohio Athletic Conference opponent Muskingum 81-72 Wednesday night in the McPherson Academic and Athletic Complex. 

Mount Union (11-11, 6-9 OAC) was led by senior Abbey Bartoszewicz (Wexford, Pa./Vincentian Academy), who recorded 24 points and went eight for 10 on free throws. 

Mallory Taylor led Muskingum (10-12, 6-9 OAC) with 16 points and five rebounds. 

Sophomore Anna Alkire (Massillon/Jackson) opened play with back-to-back three-pointers to put the Purple Raiders within one point of Muskingum, 7-6, just over two minutes into the game. Muskingum led the Raiders by as many as 12 points late in the quarter, but a buzzer-beater by Alkire cut the Muskies' lead to 10, 25-15, at the end of ten minutes. 

The Raiders outscored Muskingum 19-14 in the second quarter to trail 39-34 at halftime. Sophomore Rachel Tinkey (Canfield/Canfield) recorded seven points, while senior Kelsey Scott (New Castle, Pa./New Castle) recorded four from a layup and two free throws. Mount Union came within three points of Muskingum after Bartoszewicz made a jump-shot, but it wasn't enough to overtake the lead before the break.

Back-to-back layups by sophomore Jaime Sanborn (Twinsburg/Twinsburg) put Mount Union just one point behind Muskingum in the opening minute of the third period. The Muskies went on an 8-3 run to lead the Raiders by six points, 47-41, before Sanborn made another layup and Tinkey sunk a three-pointer to again cut the lead to one with 5:08 on the clock. 

Junior Corie Inverso (Danville/Danville) made a three-pointer at the 3:38 mark to give Mount Union a 49-47 lead, its first since the 6:28 mark of the first quarter. The Raiders finished the quarter with a 9-4 run to lead the Muskies 58-51 as the teams went into the final ten minutes of regulation. 

The Muskies came out fighting in the final quarter, outscoring Mount Union 9-2 to tie the game at 60 points apiece with 7:37 left. After battling back and forth, the Raiders tied the game at 64 with 4:11 remaining. Three consecutive three-pointers by Mount Union, coming from Scott, Inverso and Bartoszewicz, put the Raiders up by seven points with just over two minutes left in the game, which ultimately led to an 81-72 win for Mount Union. 

The Raiders travel to Tiffin, Ohio for their next OAC match-up against Heidelberg on Saturday, Feb. 11 at 3 p.m.