Women's Basketball: Mount Union Defeats Muskingum in Overtime; Tinkey Records Double-Double

Rachel Tinkey (Photo by Ed Hall)
Rachel Tinkey (Photo by Ed Hall)

NEW CONCORD, Ohio - Mount Union's women's basketball team defeated Muskingum 58-53 in overtime in an Ohio Athletic Conference game Wednesday at the Anne C. Steele Center.

The Purple Raiders (12-10, 9-6 OAC) were led by junior guard Rachel Tinkey (Canfield/Canfield) who had a double-double with 18 points and a career-high 14 rebounds. Junior forward Jaime Sanborn (Twinsburg/Twinsburg) also scored in double figures with 12 points.

Muskingum (6-16, 2-13 OAC) was led by Olivia Besancon's 20 points.

Mount Union opened up the first quarter by a score of 7-5, fueled by Sanborn and senior guard Casey Morrissette (Wakeman/Firelands). Muskingum would get within one at 9-8 with 5:19 to go, but an 8-2 run by Mount Union, six of those points coming from sophomore guard Tori Rappach (Warren/Howland), put the Raiders up 17-10 with 2:35 remaining before finishing out the quarter with a 22-12 lead.

Back-to-back three's from Muskingum's Besancon cut Mount Union's lead to 24-18 to start the second quarter. A three-point play by Tinkey would put Muskingum on pause as Mount Union once again led by double digits at 29-19 at the seven-minute mark. Muskingum answered with a pair of their own three-point plays to make it 31-27 at 5:31. Mount Union was able to get a stop with a bucket by senior guard Corie Inverso (Danville/Danville) and go into the break leading 34-27.

Shooting struggles fell upon both Mount Union and Muskingum in third quarter. Muskingum outscored Sanborn 8-2, as she was the only Raider to get points on the board. Mount Union would still have the lead at 36-35 entering the fourth. 

Muskingum gained their first lead of the night by going on a 10-4 run over Mount Union, going up 45-40 with 4:03 left in the game. Mount Union and Muskingum took turns at the foul line before Tinkey was able to score six straight points to put Mount Union back on top at 49-47 with two seconds on the clock. A quick bucket by Muskingum's Besancon sent the game into overtime. 

In overtime, trips to the foul line continued to play a key role for both teams, but Mount Union would make four straight in the final minute to seal the win for the Raiders at 58-53. Two of those free throws came from Tinkey, as she scored six of Mount Union's final nine points.

Mount Union will next return home on Saturday, February 10 at 3:00 p.m. as they host Heidelberg for Senior Day.