Women's Basketball: Four Raiders Score Double Figures in Home-Opener Victory

Rachel Tinkey
Rachel Tinkey

ALLIANCE, Ohio – The Mount Union women's basketball team defeated non-conference opponent Ohio Wesleyan (2-1) 87-62 Tuesday night in their home opener at the McPherson Academic and Athletic Complex.

The Purple Raiders (3-0) were led by senior guard Rachel Tinkey's (Canfield) 19 points. Close behind her was senior forward Jaime Sanborn (Twinsburg) with 17 points and six rebounds, junior guard Tori Rappach (Warren/Howland) with 13 and freshman guard Jenna Kelley (Barberton) came off the bench to score 10 points.

Senior guard Anna Alkire (Massillon/Jackson) dished out seven assists while foward Sarah Hessel (Avon Lake) led the defense and crashed the boards to grab nine rebounds. 

Ohio Wesleyan's Tia Karras came off the bench to lead the Bishops with 15 points and five rebounds. 

Ohio Wesleyan got on the board first with a swift layup by Claire Sterling. Rappach got hot early, repsonding with a long-range three. Tinkey followed up with three of her own, putting the Raiders ahead quickly at 6-2. Mount Union and Ohio Wesleyan went shot-for-shot through 14-all until a 10-4 run was sparked, in favor of the Raiders, closed out the opening quarter; Mount Union up 24-18.

Second quarter defense prevailed for Mount Union, keeping Ohio Wesleyan to just 10 points. The Raiders outscored Ohio Wesleyan 12-3 in the first five minutes, fueled by Jaime Sanborn's four points and three's from Rappach and Tinkey; Mount Union's lead now 36-21. In the remaining minutes, Mount Union shot 75% from the line to highlight their 13-7 scoring surge. A three at the buzzer by Jenna Kelley ended the first half and extended Mount Union's lead to 49-28.

After an Ohio Wesleyan basket to begin the second half, Sanborn racked up six straight points under the hoop. Ohio Wesleyan came back with nine unanswered points to force a Mount Union timeout, but would still trail 55-40. A three-point play for Hessel slowed down Ohio Wesleyan and free throws down the stretch kept the Raiders' advantage at 15 points, 61-46.

Start of the fourth quarter, a layup by Hessel at the nine-minute mark got the offense moving for the Raiders. Tinkey combined for a deep three and a three-point play under the hoop to push Mount Union's lead to 69-46 in the opening two minutes. A total of seven different Raiders would score in the final quarter as Mount Union never gave up their 20+ point lead to outscore Ohio Wesleyan 26-16, making the final score 87-62.

Mount Union next travels to Gambier, Ohio to face Kenyon Sunday, November 25 at 3:00 p.m.