Women's Basketball: Raiders Get Past Late Push by Otterbein

Jaime Sanborn
Jaime Sanborn

WESTERVILLE, Ohio -- Mount Union's women's basketball team held off Otterbein to win, 68-65, in an Ohio Athletic Conference game Saturday at the Rike Center.

The Purple Raiders (13-2, 6-2 OAC) were led by senior forward Jaime Sanborn's (Twinsburg) double-double performance of 16 points and 11 rebounds. Senior guard Rachel Tinkey (Canfield) also tabbed double figures with 14 points.

Otterbein's Dani Kissel led all scorers with 35 points as the Cardinals fall to 8-7 overall and 4-4 in the conference. 

Mount Union and Otterbein traded buckets to start the first quarter until the Raiders started to pull away and take a 16-8 lead with under a minute to go. Otterbein closed out the quarter on a pair of three's but would still lay behind, 19-14. In the second quarter, Otterbein reclaimed a short-lived lead at 20-19 after six unanswered points in the opening two minutes. A three-pointer by Corenna Maynard (Chagrin Falls/Kenston) reignited the offense for the Raiders with an 11-1 run, fueled by Maynard and Elena Rauhe (Seven Hills/Padua Franciscan); Mount Union now with their largest lead of the half at 30-21 with under five minutes to play. Otterbein stayed in it, landing eight straight points, but Mount Union would lead 34-31 at the break.

Mount Union opened the third quarter on a 7-0 run, extending their advantage to 41-31, before eventually lengthening it to 20 points at 53-33 with 2:53 to play. Otterbein scored the final seven points of the quarter, but was outscored by the Raiders, 19-9, to trail 53-40 entering the fourth.

Otterbein's Dani Kissel supplied their first eight points of the fourth quarter, trimming the deficit to 58-48. At the five-minute mark, a three pointer by Ali Cartnal put Otterbein back within seven at 58-51. Kissel and Cartnal continued to be aggressive for the Cardinals as they combined for 23 points to tie game at 63-all with less than a minute remaining. Sanborn's driving layup put Mount Union back on top at 65-63 with 35 seconds on the clock. Fouls were forced in the final possessions, sending Mount Union's Tinkey and Otterbein's Kissel to the line but Mount Union ultimately held on to win, 68-65.

The Raiders return home and continue OAC action as they host Marietta Wednesday, January 16 at 7 p.m.