Women's Basketball: Late Push by Wilmington Tops Raiders

Coach Venet, Renee DeFord, Hannah Schaefer, Rachel Tinkey, Tori Rappach
Coach Venet, Renee DeFord, Hannah Schaefer, Rachel Tinkey, Tori Rappach

WILMINGTON, Ohio – Mount Union's women's basketball dropped an Ohio Athletic Conference game to Wilmington, 66-59, Friday night at Fred Raizk Arena.

Despite the loss, the Purple Raiders (13-4, 6-4 OAC) had three players score in double figures with senior forward Jaime Sanborn leading the way with 16 points. Senior guard Rachel Tinkey (Canfield) was next with 12, followed by junior guard Tori Rappach (Warren/Howland) with 10. Sophomore forward Sarah Hessel (Avon Lake) remained strong on the boards as she grabbed eight rebounds.

Wilmington (9-8, 4-6 OAC) was led by McKayla Binkley who came off the bench to score 24 points. 

Mount Union and Wilmington traded baskets to stay tied through eight minutes of play. After being knotted at 11-11, Wilmington's McKayla Binkley closed out the quarter on a personal 4-0 run to give the Quakers of 15-11 lead over Mount Union.

Rappach, Tinkey and Sanborn all fired off shots to start the second quarter and take an 18-15 lead over Wilmington with 7:53 remaining. Binkley answered with another 4-0 run to put the Quakers back on top at 19-18 at the 6:46 mark. A pair of free throws and a jump shot from Elena Rauhe (Seven Hills/Padua Franciscan) reclaimed Mount Union's lead at 22-19 with a little over five minutes to go in the half. The Raiders held on to their advantage and would lead Wilmington at the break, 29-25.

Three consecutive three's for Wilmington ignited a 17-2 run during the opening five minutes of the third quarter, giving the Quakers the first double-digit lead of the game at 42-31 at 5:45. Mount Union started to chip away at Wilmington's 11-point lead with Corenna Maynard (Chagrin Falls/Kenston) landing a shot from behind the arc and a layup from Sanborn as the Raiders would now only trail by six with just under five minutes left in the quarter.  Wilmington outscored Mount Union 6-5 in the remaining minutes to hold on to their lead, 48-41.

The fourth quarter saw slow starts by both teams but Wilmington would be able to hold off the Raiders long enough to come away with the win, 66-59.

Mount Union returns home and continues OAC action as they host John Carroll Wednesday, January 23 at 7 p.m.