Women's Basketball: Senior Day Success; Mount Union Defeats Otterbein, 65-50

Anna Alkire, Rachel Tinkey, Renee DeFord, Jaime Sanborn, Meghan Hess (Photo by USA Foto, Inc.)
Anna Alkire, Rachel Tinkey, Renee DeFord, Jaime Sanborn, Meghan Hess (Photo by USA Foto, Inc.)

ALLIANCE, Ohio -- The Mount Union women's basketball team defeated Ohio Athletic Conference opponent Otterbein, 65-50, Saturday afternoon on Senior Day at the McPherson Academic and Athletic Complex. 

The Purple Raiders (16-5, 9-5 OAC) had three individuals score in double figures as junior guard Tori Rappach (Warren/Howland) led the way with 16 points. Seniors Jaime Sanborn (Twinsburg) and Rachel Tinkey (Canfield) followed with 15 and 11 points, respectively. Tinkey was also a leader among rebounders with seven, alongside sophomore forward Sarah Hessel (Avon Lake) who grabbed seven boards as well.

Otterbein's Ali Cartnal led the team with 11 points as their records move to 13-8 overall and 9-5 in the conference.

Start of the first quarter, Mount Union and Otterbein exchanged one-point leads until five straight points by junior forward Hannah Schaefer (Dublin/Dublin Coffman) pushed the Raiders ahead at 8-4 at the five minute mark. A pair of three's by Otterbein tied the score at 10-10 but Mount Union was able to conduct a 7-2 run to finish off the quarter, reclaiming their lead, 17-12.

An 11-2 scoring surge by Mount Union opened the second quarter and gave the Raiders their largest lead of the half at 28-14 with 7:28 still remaining. Otterbein was able to hold Mount Union to just five points through the remainder of the quarter and even land 11 points of their own, cutting the deficit to eight at 33-25 heading into halftime.

Sanborn, Tinkey and Anna Alkire (Massillon/Jackson) combined for a steal, two assists, two rebounds and eight unanswered points in the opening possessions of the third quarter, extending Mount Union's lead to 41-25. Otterbein landed their first bucket of the second half on a three by Cartnal at the 5:38 mark, still trailing 41-28. The Raiders hold Otterbein to just nine points in the quarter and eventually pushed their advantage up to 19-points, 53-34, on a three-pointer by Rappach at the buzzer.

Rappach's personal scoring run carried over into the start of the fourth quarter, with five consecutive points, for Mount Union's largest lead of the game at 58-34. The Raiders would not relinquish their double digit lead for the remainder of the contest, going on to win 65-50.

Mount Union continues OAC action Wednesday, February 6 as they travel to Marietta for a 7 p.m. tip-off