Women's Lacrosse: Bumbarger Goal in Final Second Sends Mount Union to Sixth Straight OAC Title

Women's Lacrosse: Bumbarger Goal in Final Second Sends Mount Union to Sixth Straight OAC Title

ALLIANCE, Ohio – Mount Union's Sydney Bumbarger (Newbury Park, Calif.) scored with less than a second left and the Purple Raiders won their sixth straight Ohio Athletic Conference women's lacrosse regular season title with a come-from-behind 10-9 over Capital Saturday at Mount Union Stadium.

The Raiders rallied from four goals down in the final 15 minutes and have now won 14-straight games and extended their home field winning streak to 24 games. Mount Union (15-1, 8-0 OAC) will be the No. 1 seed in next week's OAC Tournament and host a semifinal game Wednesday, May 1.

Danielle Rohrman (Olney, Md. / Sherwood) had four goals and an assist, Bumbarger had two scores and an assist while Mimi Curtis (Lancaster, Pa. / Manheim Twp.) had 12 saves in goal to lead the Raiders.

Capital (10-5, 7-1 OAC), which had leads of 4-0 and 9-5, got three goals and three assists from Kathryn Walton and will be the No. 2 seed in next week's conference tourney.

Walton scored two goals as Capital scored four times in the game's first 18 minutes to take a 4-0 lead. Mount Union got on the board when Bumbarger scored at the 8:23 mark. Capital made it 5-1 with a score three minutes later then the Raiders finished the half on a pair of Rohrman goals to make it 5-3 at the break.

Both team's traded goals in the opening minutes of the second half, Mount Union's came from Alyssa Rydell (Medina) and Capital led 6-4 with 25:33 remaining. Capital then scored two more times over the next 2:30 to take an 8-4 lead. Rohrman scored her third of the game to pull the Raiders to 8-5 but Capital responded with a Walton goal and it was 9-5 with 15:25 to play. Ashley Bernardi (Medina) started the rally with goal with 11:59 left then scores by Kenzie Pensyl (Kent / Roosevelt), McKenna Tubbs (Stow / Stow-Munroe Falls) and a man-up score by Rohrman tied the game with four minutes left. Rydell then passed the ball to Bumbarger from behind the net in the closing seconds.