Wrestling: Mount Union's Border 3rd and Garrison 6th at NCAA Wrestling Championships
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa -- Mount Union sophomore Jeremy Border (Caldwell/Caldwell) finished third at 133 pounds and junior Jon Garrison (Copley/Copley) placed sixth at 157 pounds at the NCAA Division III Wrestling Championships in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
Both wrestlers placing earned them All-American honors and they are the 46th and 47th All-Americans in Mount Union wrestling history.
Border, the No. 5 seed in the bracket, started with a 14-3 major decision victory over Andrew Taylor of Baldwin Wallace then grabbed a 5-3 overtime win over No. 4 seed Evan Obert of Luther (Iowa) in the quarterfinals. He fell 9-1 in the semifinals to No. 1 seed Kenny Anderson of Wartburg (Iowa). Border then took two wins in the consolation bracket -- a 2-0 win over Jimmy Nehls from Wisconsin-Whitewater and a 15-6 major decision against Ryan O'Boyle to finish third.
He is the second Purple Raiders in three years (Derrick Hesson, 285 - 2012) to place third at the national meet.
Garrison, the No. 4 seed in his weight class, edged out a 3-1 overtime win over Emanual Ajagbe of Delaware Valley (Pa.) in the first round before he took an 11-3 major decision loss to Reece Lefever of Wabash (Ind.) in the quarterfinals. He then went to the consolation bracket where he rallied in the third period for an 8-2 win over Kyle LeDuc of Concordia-Moorehead (Minn.) to make sure he placed. Garrison scored a 4-2 overtime win against Richard Jasinski of Ursinus (Pa.) before a 5-2 loss in the consolation semifinals to Jorge Lopez of Williams (Mass.) then an 11-2 major decision loss to Everet Desilets of Johnson & Wales (R.I.) in the fifth place match to finish sixth.
Garrison finishes the season 38-8 for the third most wins in a single season in Mount Union history.
Mount Union had one other wrestler compete as Bryant Roby (Westchester, Ill./St. Joseph) lost his first two matches with a 6-1 overtime loss to Logan Meister of Ferrum (Va.) and a pin from Brian Bistis of Cortland State (N.Y.).
2014 NCAA Division III Championships Results for Mount Union
133 - Jeremy Border (29-4)
- Champ. Round 1 - Jeremy Border (Mount Union) won by major decision over Andrew Taylor (Baldwin Wallace) (MD 14-3)
- Quarterfinal - Jeremy Border (Mount Union) won in sudden victory - 1 over Evan Obert (Luther) (SV-1 5-3)
- Semifinal - Kenny Anderson (Wartburg) won by major decision over Jeremy Border (Mount Union) (MD 9-1)
- Cons. Semi - Jeremy Border (Mount Union) won by decision over Jimmy Nehls (Wisconsin-Whitewater) (Dec 2-0)
- 3rd Place Match - Jeremy Border (Mount Union) won by major decision over Ryan O`Boyle (McDaniel) (MD 15-6)
141 - Bryant Roby (20-13)
- Prelim - Logan Meister (Ferrum College) won in sudden victory - 1 over Bryant Roby (Mount Union) (SV-1 6-1)
- Champ. Round 1 - Brian Bistis (SUNY-Cortland) won by fall over Bryant Roby (Mount Union) (Fall 4:34)
157 - Jon Garrison (38-8)
- Champ. Round 1 - Jon Garrison (Mount Union) won in sudden victory - 1 over Emanual Ajagbe (Delaware Valley) (SV-1 3-1)
- Quarterfinal - Reece Lefever (Wabash) won by major decision over Jon Garrison (Mount Union) (MD 11-3)
- Cons. Round 2 - Jon Garrison (Mount Union) won by decision over Kyle LeDuc (Concordia-Moorhead) (Dec 8-2)
- Cons. Round 3 - Jon Garrison (Mount Union) won in sudden victory - 1 over Richard Jasinski (Ursinus) (SV-1 4-2
- Cons. Semi - Jorge Lopez (Williams College) won by decision over Jon Garrison (Mount Union) (Dec 5-2)
- 5th Place Match - Everet Desilets (Johnson & Wales, R.I.) won by major decision over Jon Garrison (Mount Union) (MD 11-2)