(MASON, OH)-Third seeded Mount Union saw its season end with a 5-1 loss to No. 2 seed Otterbein in the semifinals of the Ohio Athletic Conference Women's Tennis Tournament Friday at the Linder Tennis Center in Mason, Ohio.
Otterbein (19-4) swept through the doubles match including a highly contested 9-7 win at first doubles as Brittany Rings and Cheryl Thinnes beat Kacey Huff (Louisville/Louisville) and Krissy Hallett (Willoughby Hills/Willoughby/South) to take a 3-0 lead then got wins at fourth and sixth singles for the victory.
The Cardinals advance to Saturday's 10 am championship match against top-seeded Baldwin-Wallace with the winner getting an automatic bid the NCAA Tournament.
Mount Union finishes its season at 15-6 and avoided a shutout with a 6-4, 6-0 win at first singles by Huff. Huff finished her career with a team-record 52 doubles and 102 combined wins.
Tennis Match Results
Mount Union vs Otterbein
May 07, 2010 at Mason, Ohio
Otterbein 5, Mount Union 1
1. Kacey Huff (MTU) def. Brittany Rings (OTT) 6-4, 6-0
2. Cheryl Thinnes (OTT) vs. Krissy Hallett (MTU) 6-4, 5-4, unfinished
3. Megan Asterino (OTT) vs. Tara Biedenbach (MTU) 6-1, 5-1, unfinished
4. Megan Anders (OTT) def. Mari Miki (MTU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Taylor Jordan (OTT) vs. Elyse Underwood (MTU) unfinished
6. Sarah Jenney (OTT) def. Courtney Adamski (MTU) 6-3, 6-4
1. Brittany Rings/Cheryl Thinnes (OTT) def. Kacey Huff/Krissy Hallett (MTU) 9-7
2. Jena Smith/Megan Asterino (OTT) def. Tara Biedenbach/Courtney Adamski (MTU) 8-1
3. Kylie Hammons/Megan Anders (OTT) def. Elyse Underwood/Mari Miki (MTU) 8-1
Mount Union 15-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (,1,4,6)
Semifinals of OAC Women's Tennis Tournament
Otterbein is the #2 Seed. Mount Union is the #3 Seed.
Otterbein advances to finals Saturday at 10 am against #1 seed Baldwin-Wallace
|May 4 - Quarterfinals at Campus Sites||Time/Results|
|#8 Marietta at #1 Baldwin-Wallace | Box Score |||BW, 5-0|
|#7 Heidelberg at #2 Otterbein | Box Score |||OTT, 5-0|
|#6 Wilmington at #3 Mount Union | Box Score |||MTU, 5-3|
|#5 Ohio Northern at #4 John Carroll | Box Score |||JCU, 5-4|
|May 7 - Semifinals at Lindner Tennis Center|
|#1 Baldwin-Wallace v #4 John Carroll||BW, 5-0|
|#2 Otterbein v #3 Mount Union||OTT, 5-1|
|May 8 - Finals at Lindner Tennis Center|
|#1 Baldwin-Wallace vs. #2 Otterbein||10 am|