May 1, 2013
Women's Tennis Advances To OAC Tournament Semifinals With Defeat Of Heidelberg
ALLIANCE, Ohio - - Mount Union's women's tennis team defeated Heidelberg 5-0 in an Ohio Athletic Conference Tournament quarterfinal match Wednesday afternoon at the Whitehill Tennis Courts.
Mount Union improves to 14-5 on the year while Heidelberg's season ends with a 4-12 record.
The Purple Raiders swept all three doubles matches and won two singles matches to secure the 5-0 victory.
MacKenzie Jenkins (North Hampton/Northwestern) recorded two wins on the afternoon. She defeated Katie Strahan 6-1, 6-1 in the number one singles match and was paired with Megan Reichert (Ashtabula/Lakeside) as they defeated Strahan and Sofey Fugate 8-5 in the no. 1 doubles match.
Reichert also was victorious in her singles match as she defeated Rachel Brushaber 6-1, 6-2.
Taylor Dowling (Canton/Massillon Jackson) and Mandy Wise (North Canton/Hoover) defeated Brushaber and Melissa Lovati 8-1 to complete the sweep of the doubles matches for the Raiders.
Mount Union advances to the semifinals of the OAC Tournament where they will face the number two seed Otterbein Friday afternoon at 4:30 p.m at the Lindner Tennis Center in Mason, Ohio.
Tennis Match Results
Heidelberg vs Mount Union
May 01, 2013 at Alliance, Ohio
Mount Union 5, Heidelberg 0
1. MacKenzie Jenkins (MTU) def. Katie Strahan (HEIDW) 6-1, 6-1
2. Mandy Wise (MTU) vs. Sofey Fugate (HEIDW) 6-0, 5-0, unfinished
3. Megan Czuchra
(MTU) vs. Deidre Potter (HEIDW) 6-3, 1-1, unfinished
4. Taylor Dowling (MTU) vs. Sara Potts (HEIDW) 5-7, 2-0, unfinished
5. Megan Reichert (MTU) def. Rachel Brushaber (HEIDW) 6-1, 6-2
6. Lauren Olivier
(MTU) vs. Melissa Lovati (HEIDW) 6-0, 4-2, unfinished
1. MacKenzie Jenkins/Megan Reichert (MTU) def. Katie Strahan/Sofey Fugate (HEIDW) 8-5
2. Megan Czuchra/Lauren Olivier (MTU) def. Deidre Potter/Sara Potts (HEIDW) 8-2
3. Taylor Dowling/Mandy Wise (MTU) def. Rachel Brushaber/Melissa Lovati (HEIDW) 8-1
Mount Union 14-5